"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." (Robert A. Heinlein)

Sunday, 5 September 2010

Upgraded to Netbeans 6.9.1 (on the EEEPC)

From time to time it happens I start dusting off the development environment on my EEEPC in order to start with some little new experiment. I so decided to upgrade Netbeans 6.8 there installed to the latest version 6.9.1.


Upgrading the JDK

As first step I decided, even if It's not strictly necessary, to upgrade to the latest JDK. I downloaded the self extracting archive from Oracle's download page and extracted it into the /opt directory:
chmod +x jdk-6u21-linux-i586.bin
mv jdk-6u21-linux-i586.bin /opt
sudo /opt/jdk-6u21-linux-i586.bin
As alternative JDK OpenJDK can be installed by a simple apt-get command:
sudo apt-get install openjdk-6-jdk

Installing Netbeans 6.9.1

I downloaded Netbeans installation file from Netbeans.org download page then I executed it:
chmod +x netbeans-6.9.1-ml-javase-linux.sh
sudo ./netbeans-6.9.1-ml-javase-linux.sh
the installation program starts and it's only matter of agreeing with licences and clicking “next”.

First run

The first time I executed Netbeans it correctly recognized previous version (6.8) settings and installed plug-ins.

netbeans-6.9.1-1

a import wizard starts and all previously installed plug-ins can be imported updated to the latest version.

netbeans6.9.1-2

Once Netbeans 6.9.1 has been properly installed and set-up I removed the previous version by executing its de-installation script:
sudo /usr/local/netbeans-6.8/uninstall.sh