I first downloaded truecrypt-6.1a-ubuntu-x86.tar.gz (the x86 32bit ubuntu compiled version) from its site downloads page. then I extracted and executed the installation program ...
tar -xvf truecrypt-6.1a-ubuntu-x86.tar.gzThe installation graphic user interface started and I simply had to click the 'Install TrueCrrypt' button and then agreed with the software license. Once installation was completed TrueCrypt icon was automatically placed in the 'other' folder.
First encrypted volume creation
To prepare my first encrypted disk I first launched TrueCrypt, by clicking on its icon. Since I decided to encrypt a full partition of my external USB disk I selected the drive to be encrypted ('/dev/sdd3' in my case) using the 'Select device' button.
After drive selection I started the volume creation wizard pressing the 'Create volume' button.
In the volume creation wizard windows I did chose the following options:
- Encryption Options: I did choose 'AES' as encryption algorithm and 'RIPEMD_160' as hash algorithm
- Volume Type: Standard True Crypt Volume
- True Crypt Volume Creation Wizard: Create a volume within a partition/drive
- Volume password:I inserted my password here
- Large Files: I will store files larger than 4 GB on the volume
- Format Options: I did choose EXT3 Filesystem and left unchecked the 'Quick format' checkbox
- Cross-Platform Support: I will mount the volume only on Linux (I'm not going to use it on windows)
Once prepared the disk TrueCrypt returned in its main program window where I eventually mounted it (after being asked for volume password) .